IMPORTANT: You must have an assigned four digit code and it must be entered within 30 seconds of entering the building to disarm the security system. If you've forgotten your code, request a replacement before attempting entry!
NOTE: As of 5/18/07 there is a bug in the security system that has disabled the display of the numbered digits to indicated a tripped sensor as described below. If a sensor is tripped -- a door is open, or someone is moving in Papa Bear or Baby Bear -- the [Ready] light on the display will be extinguished. This is the only indication that a problem exists.
 Disarming the System
- Upon entering the building you will hear a continuous tone from the alarm keypad mounted on the wall next to the door and note that its red [Armed] indicator is glowing. These signals indicate the system is active and waiting entry of your four-digit code to disable the alarm.
You have 30 seconds to enter your code and disarm the system.
- Enter your code on the numeric keypad. The alarm will disarm after the fourth digit is entered. The red [Armed] light will extinguish, leaving the [Ready] and [Power] lights glowing.
IMPORTANT: If the keypad's red [Armed] light is glowing the alarm is active. If you are still in the building do not open the door to the 'Baby Bear' area or walk into the 'Papa Bear' area of the building. If you do the alarm will go off. Remain in the 'Mama Bear' area until the alarm system is disarmed. Enter your 4 digit code on the keypad to disarm the system and you can again move freely throughout the building.
 Arming the System
- Close all doors, including the door you plan to exit, and confirm the Papa Bear area is vacated before arming the system . (If any of the digits 1-4 are glowing, check the 'Zone Assignment' table below to determine which sensor is tripped and remedy the situation before continuing.)
- Enter your four digit code.
- After the fourth digit is entered the alarm siren will sound a single 'yelp' to confirm the alarm is set.
- The system will begin a 30 second countdown, beeping every few seconds. During the last 10 seconds of the countdown the beeping will increase to once a second, and then change to a continuous tone just before the alarm system is activated. If you want to abort the arming procedure anytime during the countdown enter your four digit code on the keypad.
- Exit the building before the countdown ends and lock the door behind you.
- The alarm will sound a single 'yelp' at the end of the countdown period as a final confirmation the alarm is set.
IMPORTANT: If you do not hear the single 'yelp' when you enter your security code to arm the system, or if the control pad responds with three short beeps the alarm is not set. Either you mis-keyed your code or one of the alarm sensors were tripped during the arming process. Return to the beginning of the arming procedure and try again.
IMPORTANT: If the keypad's red [Armed] light is glowing the alarm is active. If you are still in the building, do not open the door to the 'Baby Bear' area or walk into the 'Papa Bear' area of the building. If you do the alarm will go off. Remain in the 'Mama Bear' area until the alarm system is disarmed. Enter your 4 digit code on the keypad to disarm the system and you can again move freely throughout the building.
If you are not able to arm the system for any reason, lock the doors and contact either the observatory director or an MAS Board Member as soon as possible! Contact information is available on the web at http://www.mnastro.org/about/contact.htm.
 Turning off the Alarm
- Should you accidentally set-off the alarm, simply enter your four digit code to turn it off. (Note, though that the system will already placed its pre-programmed phone calls to communicate the 'break-in'!)
 Zone Assignments
There are four 'zones' monitored in the observatory, each corresponding to one of the numbered lights at the top of the keypad:
|Zone #||Area Covered||Sensor Type||Delay?||Comment|
|1||'Papa Bear'||Motion||None||No delay-Do not enter unless disarmed!|
|2||Entry doors||Switches||30 seconds|
|3||'Baby Bear' door||Switch||None||No delay-Do not open unless disarmed!|
|4||'Baby Bear'||Motion||None||No delay-Do not enter unless disarmed!|
 Other Features
Other keypad controls, lights:
|Armed light||Glows red when system is armed;
If flashing, indicates a prior alarm condition occurred, press '*-3' to display zones that triggered the alarm and report condition
|Instant light||Not used|
|Fire light||Not used|
|Ready light||Glows green when system is ready and waiting commands|
|Power light||Glows when AC power is supplied to the system;
If flashing, back-up battery is low, report condition
|Service||Glows when there is a problem with the system, press '*-2' and report which lights are glowing|
|Emergency Activation Keys||All three (fire, medical, police) are disabled|
|Stay function button||Not used|
|Chime function button||Will sound a 'ding-dong' when system is disarmed and sensors are tripped|
|Zone lights (1-8)||If 'on', the zone is in a 'fault' (tripped) condition
If flashing rapidly, there is a trouble condition, report which lights are flashing