Sky & Telescope magazine and Astronomy magazine are available to members of the Minnesota Astronomical Society at a discount from the retail subscription prices. In the past, magazine subscriptions at the astronomy club discount rate were required to be processed through the Society. However with changes in both publishers’ procedures, members are now directed to contact the publishers’ customer service departments and purchase their discounted subscriptions directly.
The advantages to MAS members resulting from contacting the publishers directly include:
- Positive confirmation of your subscription as a result of your direct web or telephone contact with the publisher’s customer service department.
- Additional cost savings and flexibility by elimination of the former PayPal fee, by the addition of the print + digital delivery in the Sky & Telescope club discount subscription, by the addition of a three-year Astronomy discount subscription option, and by the addition of the print + digital subscription option to Astronomy magazine at astronomy club discount rates
- Faster subscription turnaround by elimination of multiple processing steps and mailing delays, which is especially important to avoid missing issues if you are renewing your subscription near its expiration date.
Sky & Telescope Magazine
Sky & Telescope had increased their subscription prices in April 2020 from the old standard subscription price of $42.95 to a new standard subscription price of $54.95 per year. At the same time, the astronomy club discount price increased from $32.95 to $43.95 per year. This is the first increase in nearly twenty years and was found to be necessary by the magazine’s new owners, the American Astronomical Society.
With this price increase, club subscription discounts against regular subscriptions increased from a $10 discount to an $11 discount. Plus, club discount subscriptions are now for the printed magazine plus digital access to the magazine rather than just the printed magazine as before. There is currently no additional multi-year discount for the club discount subscriptions. Two- and three-year subscription renewals are at 2x and 3x the single year subscription renewal price.
Members wishing to pay for their Sky & Telescope astronomy club discount subscription using a credit card can use one of two procedures:
- Go to the web page www.skyandtelescope.org/clubrenew and fill out the web form and get your print + digital subscription renewal at the astronomy club discount rate of $43.95 per year. For new subscriptions at the astronomy club discount rate, the web page to use is www.skyandtelescope.org/clubspecial
- Call S&T customer service at 1-800-253-0245 and identify yourself as a member of the MAS and give them the astronomy club discount code of 4CLB20 (note: the 20 at the end is the current year, so it changes to 4CLB21 in 2021, to 4CLB22 in 2022 and so on) and renew by giving them your credit card number for billing.
For members wishing to pay using a check, you can call S&T customer service at 1-800-253-0245 and identify yourself as a member of the MAS and give them the club discount code of 4CLB20 (note: the 20 at the end is the current year, so it changes to 4CLB21 in 2021, to 4CLB22 in 2022 and so on), and ask them to invoice you for your subscription. They will send you a bill in the mail which you can return with a check for your astronomy club discount subscription to Sky & Telescope.
Although regular Astronomy magazine subscriptions have increased to $44.95 per year in October 2020, astronomy club member subscription rates remain the same as before. You can receive either the print version or the digital version of Astronomy magazine at the club discount subscription rate of $34.00 for one year, $60.00 for two years, or $83.00 for three years. For those wishing to subscribe to both the print and digital issues together, the astronomy club discount rates are $46.00 for one year, $84.00 for two years, or $119.00 for three years.
To subscribe (or to renew your current subscription) to Astronomy magazine at the astronomy club discount rate, use the link www.astronomy.com/clubmember and enter your order there. You have the choice of a print-only subscription or a digital-only subscription at the price of $34.00 (one year), $60.00 (two years), or $83.00 (three years) or you can choose a print + digital subscription for $46.00 (one year), $84.00 (two years), or $119.00 (three years).
Kalmbach publishing also periodically provides additional offers to club members. In 2020 they are presenting the following additional offers:
- To order a 2021 Deep Space Mysteries wall calendar, use the link MyScienceShop.com/ASYClubs and use the code CAL50 at checkout to receive your club member discount and free shipping.
- The Space & Beyond Box from the publishers of Astronomy magazine ships quarterly, bringing unique astronomy-related items to space enthusiasts across the galaxy. As a club member you will receive 15% off your subscription, plus free U.S. shipping and a free gift. Use the link SpaceAndBeyondBox.com/clubmember and use the coupon code ASYCLUB while subscribing to the Space & Beyond Box.
Members may also call the Astronomy magazine Customer Service toll-free number at 1-877-246-4835 to initially subscribe or to renew your subscription at the astronomy club discount rate, paying using your credit card. You may be asked to identify yourself as a member of the Minnesota Astronomical Society.
If you do not wish to pay using a credit card and prefer to pay for a print subscription with a check, you may use either of two procedures:
- You can call the Customer Service number at 1-877-246-4835 and request a renewal notice be mailed to you. The renewal notice will be preprinted with the astronomy club discount subscription rates. You may then return it to Astronomy magazine Customer Service through the mail with the accompanying payment check.
- You can mail your renewal form to Astronomy Magazine Subscriptions, PO Box 8520, Big Sandy, TX 75755 and identify on the form you are renewing at the astronomy club discount rate, and identify that you are a member of the Minnesota Astronomical Society. The USPS mail procedure is available only to print subscribers.
Please direct any questions about these or any other membership benefits to the MAS Membership Coordinator at email@example.com or the link on the About Us / Contact The MAS Leadership and Committees web page.